Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Word on Wednesday...


"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:16-17

Do you ever find it hard, without a bible study / devotional book, to just sit down and dig into the Word? It is so hard for me to just open my bible and read. What do I read; where do I start; how do I know; where do I look??? As I was doing my Core Secrets workout today, I thought: 'I can exercise for 30 minutes a day, talk on the phone for 30 minutes at a time, work on the computer for 30 minutes, spend 30 minutes (or more) cleaning everyday; so why is it so hard for me to just sit down and spend quality and quantity time in the Word?' Psalm 119:105 says, "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." God really spoke to me today about that passage. If I'm not spending quantity and quality time in His Word, then that light will fade out. It would be like trying to find something in the dark, using a flashlight that has weak batteries. Have you ever used a flashlight that needs new batteries? When you turn it on, it flickers and the light is so dim that you have to squint in order to see. It is so frustrating trying to find something in the dark with a weak flashlight! I would imagine that God gets so frustrated trying to guide us when our spiritual light is weak, because we don't recharge it with His Word.

For me, I need the structure and accountability of a bible study / devotional book. I research, read, ask around and pray about what book to get next. God has spoken to me, convicted me, grown me, and revealed so much to me through His servants that He has blessed with the ability to write a Spirit-filled devotional book. Is this the right approach; should I just learn to read His Word without a devotional; am I less Godly because I can't just randomly open the Bible and start reading??? I don't really know. But I do know that right now God is tremendously speaking to me through devotional books, and I am digging into His Word, brightening my light using them! I pray that you will find a way that works for you, too.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Thank you for continually bringing the Word on Wednesday. I struggle with the very same things you wrote today. Why is it I can work out or read a fiction book for 30 minutes but I have a hard time focusing for 30 minutes on just reading the word without a bible study or devotional book? One reason is because we are in/on a spiritual battle ground. I think it is important to keep trying even if it is a little bit. A big dose of self-discipline is what I am needing recently. Satan wins when we give up and give God absolutely nothing.

You will be blessed for being faithful to God!!

Staci said...

I am SO with you Amy! I need the structure of a devotional, too. And I feel that as long as the devotional book is bible based and has you actually digging into the word, then it's great! Less godly?? NO, I don't believe so!

Caroline said...

i find that if i give him the time then he always makes that time up somewhere in the day! I love that about Him, blessing us still! bible studies helps me dig deeper but as I am learning in my biblical herm class.....it's sometimes better to just read and allow God to do the directing and explaining!!!!! HE IS GOD!!!!

Angela said...

I love this and really need to hear this...God is good like that. Thanks for letting Him use you :)!

Hillary said...

I'm the same way! It is so hard for me to start reading and stay focused and get something out of it. Devotionals and study help me to structure my thoughts. I've been doing a little of both. At night I am reading through some books in the OT and then for real application and things I use a devotional.

RachelM said...

I also have to have a devotional book! I feel like my mind wanders if I don't have something to keep me on track and I do feel guilty about that sometimes. I admire people who can just jump in and do it on their own. However, I think it's better to do it with a devotional book than not read at all!

Melissa said...

I am the same way! I just don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it when I just pick up the bible and read it. I LOVED stepping up by beth moore. I am done and haven't been doing a good job reading my bible, so I'm thinking I need to RUN to the store and pick out a new one! Thanks for the Word on Wednesday!!