Monday, June 9, 2008

Poor Baby; Yea, Baby!

Well, Thursday evening Zayde had a fever of 102.4. This is not the highest fever he has had and he is teething, so I thought it was just his teeth. Then, Friday he woke up with a runny nose, pulling at his ears and still had a fever. We already had an appointment with the ENT to check up on his ears/tubes. So, I didn't make an appointment with his pediatrician. I told the ENT that he was sick and running a fever. But, all he did was look in Zayde's ears and said that there was no infection and the tubes looked good and sent us on our way. I should have been more assertive and asked him to check Zayde out, but I didn't. I was relieved that he didn't have an ear infection and once again assumed it was all just because he was teething. Friday night, Zayde slept with us (which he RARELY does) so we could keep an eye on him and give him Tylenol/Motrin every 4 hours. Then, Saturday he woke up with a bad runny nose, a rash, a very hoarse throat, a cough and not feeling good at all. So, I told Zack that I wanted him to go somewhere to see a doctor. The only place we could go that would take ARKids 1st and not have to pay an arm and a leg was the ER. Zack did NOT want to do this.

Amy: "I really feel like something is not right. He is acting like he feels really bad and that rash is not normal. I think I'm going to take him to the ER, so he can see a doctor."

Zack: "Well, he's playing. And you call that a rash?"

Amy: "He's not playing like he usually does. And, sometimes you get a rash if you have strep throat. Maybe he has strep."

Zack: "That's hardly a rash. And strep hasn't been going around for weeks. I really don't feel comfortable taking him to the ER when there is no medical emergency. It's probably just allergies."

Amy: "I just feel that something is not right. I think it's more than just allergies."

Zack: "I just don't like going to the doctor for every little thing and Zayde constantly being on medicine. I seriously doubt it's any big deal."

Amy: "Well, I really want him to be seen, if for nothing else, just my peace of mind. If something is the matter, I don't want him to have to wait until Monday to see a doctor."

Zack: "Okay, whatever you think..."

So, I took Zayde to the ER and guess what: He has strep throat! Zack had to eat his words and admit that Mommy knows best! Don't get me wrong, Zack is a WONDERFUL Daddy, but sometimes Mom's just know about these kinds of things. I was sooooo glad that I took him in and got him started on antibiotics before Monday. He has been EXTREMELY fussy, more so than any ear infection that he's ever had! I will be soooo glad when he is feeling better. It has been so sad to see him like this. Half the time he just walks around and moans. I know he is in pain. He is teething and has two canker soars (one on his tongue and one on the inside of his lip) on top of the strep throat. Poor Baby!

In other news: Zack passed his last EMT test! It was his state/national written exam. Yea, Baby!!! I am so proud of him. He did not even study AT ALL! I kept telling him, "You need to study!" But, he just couldn't get himself motivated to study and said that either he knows it by now or doesn't. I thought it was really awesome that he passed without cracking open a book!

15 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh...poor Zayde!! I feel so sorry for him, and you too!! I hope that he gets to feeling better REALLY soon!

Way to go Zack!!

Julie said...

Poor Zayde!!! I hope he is getting much better.

Congrats to Zach for passing his EMT test!!!!

The Garners said...

Oh, it's so hard when they're sick! I'm glad he has medicine and hope he improves quickly!

Congrats to your husband on his test!

Angela said...

Yep, you're right, mom's know best. Congrats for passing the EMT test Zack!

Campbell Crusade said...

Oh, poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon. We missed seeing you all at church, but staying home with your baby is important! Keep him in and get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids! (OK, you are a mom, I'm sure you knew that already ;-)

Campbell Crusade said...

Oh, I forgot to add, "Congrats, Zack!!" Wow, what an answer to prayer!!

Faith said...

Poor thing! So glad you took him and that he will be on his way to feeling better soon!
Congratulations Zack!
Hope you are having a happy Monday!

Jessica said...

I hope Zayde feels better soon. Tell Zack a big congratulations! : )

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

So sorry the little guy is sick! Strep can be so horrible. I am so glad that both my kids can tell me what is wrong instead of having to play the guessing game. It makes life a lot easier!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor baby! Koy has had strep throat so many times that I have lost count. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Ashlie said...

Poor little Zayde! It sure is a good thing you followed that Mommy hunch! I know it's not fun to always have kids on medicine, but sometimes they just need a little extra help, right? And Congrats to Zack! I know how he feels about not wanting to study...by the time I took my nursing boards, I felt the exact same way and never cracked a book to study either!

Suz said...

Poor Zayde! You said it, Mommy knows best!!! I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly!

Congrats to Zack! That's just not even fair that some people don't have to study for hours and can pass with flying colors.. I'm envious of that skill! :)

THE PIXLER'S said...

Hey Amy I just read this post and thought to myself how this sounds like my husband and I. I always know there is something wrong and he always says it probably nothing. I just learned not to ask any questions from him and do what I think is right. Kyle may be a paramedic and can deal with life or death situations, but when it comes to his own kids he is like Zack doesn't want our kids to always be on some kind of medicine. I love your blog page and I read it often. Congrats to Zack for passing and Hope Zayde is starting to feel better.

Jennifer said...

Poor Zayde! Congrats to Zach, how awesome!

"J" said...

Poor Zayde! I hope he is feeling better by now! Since i'm late at leaving a comment!

WAY TO GO Zack!!! Congrats!